Head of Digital Marketing Recruitment
Job Role Insights
The head of digital marketing is responsible for the overall digital marketing strategy and execution for an organisation. Often leading a team of digital marketing professionals, ensuring that all digital marketing efforts are aligned with the company's overall goals and objectives.
This can include developing and implementing digital campaigns, analyzing and tracking data, and staying up-to-date with industry trends and best practices.
Explore salaries for marketing roles in your region.
National average salary range
The responsibilities of a head of digital marketing may include:
- Developing and implementing the overall digital marketing strategy for the organisation.
- Identifying target markets and developing digital marketing campaigns to reach those markets.
- Overseeing budgets assigned to digital projects and ensuring that marketing efforts are cost-effective with an acceptable return on investment (ROI).
- Setting and managing a budget for digital marketing efforts
- Overseeing the development and execution of digital marketing campaigns, including tactics such as SEO, social media marketing, email marketing, content marketing, and PPC advertising
- Analyzing data and metrics to understand the effectiveness of digital marketing campaigns and make informed decisions about future campaigns
- Managing and leading a team of digital marketing professionals
- Collaborating with other departments, such as product development and customer service, to ensure that all digital marketing efforts are aligned with the overall goals of the company
- Staying up-to-date with industry trends and best practices, and continuously learning about new technologies, tools and techniques in the field of digital marketing
- Developing and managing relationships with vendors and partners as needed to support digital marketing efforts
- Ensuring that all digital marketing efforts are compliant with relevant laws and regulations, such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Key skills and personal attributes
A head of digital marketing typically needs a range of key skills and personal attributes to be successful in their role. Some of these include:
- To be able to lead and motivate a team, as well as effectively communicate with other departments and stakeholders, the individual must have strong leadership skills
- Having excellent communication skills: To clearly communicate their ideas and strategies to their team and other stakeholders.
- The ability to think strategically and develop long-term plans for the organisation's digital marketing efforts.
- Analytics skills: Be proficient in analyzing data and metrics to measure the effectiveness of campaigns and make data-driven decisions.
- Having a creative mindset and be able to come up with innovative ideas for campaigns and content.
- Adaptability: Being able to adapt to changing trends and technologies in the digital marketing landscape.
- Marketing and business acumen: The head of digital marketing should have a strong understanding of marketing principles and how to apply them in a digital context, as well as an understanding of how marketing fits into the overall business strategy.
The head of digital marketing should be able to manage multiple projects and campaigns concurrently, and ensure that they are delivered on time and within budget.
Relevant marketing qualifications
There are various qualifications that may be relevant for a head of digital marketing, depending on the specific requirements of the role and the organisation. Some potential qualifications that may be useful for a head of digital marketing include:
- A degree in marketing, business, or a related field
- A Master's degree in marketing or a related field, such as an MBA with a concentration in marketing
- A professional marketing qualification, such as the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) Diploma in Professional Marketing
- A digital marketing qualification, such as a Google Ads or Analytics certification
- Project management qualifications, such as the Project Management Institute's (PMI) Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
- Marketing certification programs, such as those offered by the Chartered Institute in Marketing (CIM), the Direct Marketing Association (DMA), the Institute of Data Marketing (IDM) or the British Academy of Digital Marketing offer a comprehensive range of marketing courses.
While specific qualifications may be useful, it is also important for a head of digital marketing to have a combination of education and practical experience in marketing, as well as a strong understanding of digital marketing techniques and technologies.
Marketing salary report
Find salaries for marketing roles in your region with our up to date marketing salary report.
Marketing salary report
Explore our industry specific insights to find out how individual roles are performing.Marketing insights
Our recruitment services are among the highest rated in the recruitment industry.Marketing recruitment
Latest Marketing Jobs
A leading global law firm has an exciting opportunity to join their fast-paced global PR team as a PR Coordinator/PR Executive supporting the Associate Director for PR's efforts to promote the firm across the EMEA region. This is an interesting and diverse role, requiring the ability to deliver a broad range of public relations and...Read more
An established, fast-growing, international technology company are looking for a Marketing Executive to join the team on a two-month fixed term contract. The ideal candidate will be immediately available, have experience in a similar role with an understanding of product marketing and will live a short, commutable distance to their office based in Northwest London....Read more
Marketing Manager, Hybrid Role, Hampshire Join an innovative company at the forefront of integrated computing solutions. We're on the lookout for a skilled Digital Marketing professional to be a key player in our clients dynamic and international company. Situated near Portsmouth, this position offers an exciting and fulfilling opportunity within the thriving technology sector. Key Responsibilities: CRM Management:...Read more
Search other Marketing roles
Looking to hire?
More than 20,000 people register with the Ashdown Group every month. We have access to hundreds of high-calibre professionals living within an easy commute of your business.