Corporate Social Responsibility
Corporate Social Responsibility
The Ashdown Group accepts that we are unlikely to have a major impact on global environmental issues or government policies, but we do recognise the importance of making a contribution in every area that we are able. We believe that it is our responsibility as a significant employer and business consumer in the Kingston upon Thames area, to make as significant a contribution on a local level as possible and extend our efforts beyond local boundaries where we are able.
Our first commitment is to our own workforce. The intention is to promote as healthy a working environment as possible. The company contributes to each employee’s gym membership. There is a regular supply of fresh fruit at the office and we actively promote a healthy diet and lifestyle. Within the company there are a number of informal sporting activities, and for a number of years there has been a popular Cycle to Work Scheme meaning that a high proportion of our workforce use their bicycles to commute to work.
Impact on the Environment
We have implemented an environmental policy that is designed to limit our negative impact on the environment. As a predominantly office based organisation, our principle impact on the environment is through energy consumption and paper usage.
The Company aims are to:
- Minimise the use of natural resources;
- To control energy consumption during the day and ensure redundant machines are shut down or decommissioned immediately. Night time consumption of energy is to be kept to a minimum with all non-essential systems being fully shut down overnight;
- Wherever possible, documentation is to be stored and transmitted through electronic means;
- Minimise the generation of waste and wherever possible recycle waste;
- Minimise pollution and promote greener transport options;
- Purchase and promote the use of greener office and cleaning products;
- Consider the environmental impact of any business decisions made;
- Inform and encourage staff at all levels to act in an environmentally responsible manner and provide training where necessary;
- Encourage feedback from staff on improvements and feed these into the policy;
- Designate appropriate resources in order to implement, monitor and continuously improve the policy;
- Make this policy available to any interested external parties and to employees;
- Continually improve and monitor the environmental performance of the company.
A Director of the company will be responsible for implementing the above objectives, reviewing progress and continuously updating this policy as necessary.
Currently 90% of our employees use public transport, cycle or walk to work. We have been active in discussions with the local council and other relevant government organisation such as Kingston First and CEN to promote green transport initiatives further and have been vocal in promoting security and safety measures in the hope that improvements in these areas will continue to encourage people to cycle, walk or take the bus or train to work.
Supporting the Community
By encouraging an active, charitable workforce, the team are regularly involved in sporting activities. Many employees take part in sporting events for the benefit of local charities. We have taken part in half marathons, cross country events, dragon boat races, cricket matches, the Three Peaks Challenge, and many other ventures, raising thousands of pounds for the Kingston Hospital Cancer Fund, the Shooting Star Children’s Hospice and many other charities and causes. Through these activities, we are able to give back to the wellbeing of our local community and occasionally, we can contribute to larger national and international charities.
It is our aim to encourage a sense of collective responsibility within the community, local charities and the environment. It is our goal to build a company of caring, honest and aware individuals with consideration given to these traits during the hiring process.
Transparency and Honesty
The company strives to deliver higher standards than other suppliers within the industry by offering the highest levels of transparency, honesty and integrity. By delivering genuine, clear advice and support to employees, customers, candidates and stakeholders, we are able to operate in an advisory capacity. This has led to high staff retention rates, valued professional employees and long standing happy customers.